All new and returning members who wish to join CSO Philharmonic or become Section Leaders must audition at the beginning of the semester. In order to audition for Section Leader you must also audition for Philharmonic, but you can audition for Philharmonic without auditioning for Section Leader. Visit our ensemble descriptions page to learn more about Philharmonic. If you’re interested in being a Section Leader, check out our Section Leader information page.
Audition Dates, Times, Location:
Sept 14 from 12:30-4:30 pm, in Newcomb 389. Warm up location is in the Newcomb Board Room (across the hall from 389).
Sept 15 from 11:00-4:30 pm, in Newcomb 177. Warm up location is in the Newcomb Theatre.
Please arrive to the audition room 5 minutes prior to your scheduled audition time.
Audition Materials & Format
The auditions will consist of a major scale, a chromatic scale, two prepared excerpts, and a short sight-reading excerpt. Please come with a copy of your prepared excerpts. If you also wish to audition for Section Leader, a few brief interview questions will follow the playing portion of the audition.
- Major Scale: The judges will choose one major scale at random for you to play. Play whatever rhythmic pattern is comfortable, and as many octaves as you can comfortably play.
- Chromatic Scale: Play whatever rhythmic pattern is comfortable, and as many octaves as you can comfortably play.
- Prepared Excerpts: These will differ from instrument to instrument and are listed below.
- Sight-Reading: After playing the two prepared excerpts, you will be given a sheet with a short excerpt to sight-read. After receiving the excerpt, you will have one minute to look it over and prepare. Be sure to pay careful attention to style and dynamics, in addition to the notes and rhythms.
- Section Leader Questions: Should you wish to audition to be a Section Leader, you will be asked a few brief questions following the playing portion of the audition. These are likely to cover music and leadership experience, and what you hope to accomplish as Section Leader.
Auditions will be judged by our Performance Directors, and results will be announced via email on the evening of September 15th.
The first Philharmonic rehearsal will take place on September 16th from 3:00-4:00 pm after the Main Ensemble rehearsal in the Runk Green Room.
Please contact Performance Directors, Alexander Psaltis-Ivanis (email@example.com) & Emily Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org), with any questions or concerns regarding auditions, CSO’s ensembles, or the role of Section Leader.